Friday, March 13, 2009

Musings

My mind wandered today while out for a short run in the neighborhood. I passed a street that is off Pine Point Road and remembered that I looked at a room to rent in a house on that street about 15 years ago.

I'd been living in an apartment in Portland and decided it was time to live in a house with a yard. I was not ready to purchase a home and so shopped around for a rental situation. It was during this time that I landed on Peaks Island in Casco Bay, not in Scarborough. (And I'm glad I did!) It just struck me as funny (serendipitous? coincidental? small-world-like?) today, that I now own a home in this same area after more than ten years on Peaks Island. You just never know. But it begs the question for me, what am I doing or seeing or thinking about presently that will reappear or manifest itself in 10 years or so?

I suppose this is simply foreshadowing, but I like to think of it as having an intention for something and eventually, whether conscious or not, following it through. I'll never forget running on the path around the Back Cove in Portland one day and realizing (again letting my mind wander) that I had a wish to be doing just what I was doing, years earlier when I was still in Boston. I had a fantasy about living in a groovy city, working, running and basically enjoying life, and shazam! There it was!

I love those quirky, insightful moments. Not surprisingly they tend to occur when I am running. It's part of what I love most about running, in fact.

Do you do much life planning while you run, or have you ever woken up to your life while on a run? I'd love to hear about it.

The mind is a powerful thing and a terrible thing to waste.

No comments: