Monday, April 13, 2009

Traditions

Yesterday my family and I enjoyed an Easter tradition that I had practiced years ago when I was single and living in Portland. On Easter Sunday, I would drive myself to Scarborough Beach at daybreak, and pick up the "Cliff Walk" around Prout's Neck. I found this to be an extremely spiritual experience, with incredible views of the ocean and islands, and many places to perch on rocks for meditative and prayerful breaks along the way. The beautiful properties lining the trail were an added delight to admire. I found it to be a fitting exercise during this period of hope and new beginnings.

It had been years since I had taken this walk, and yesterday, the three of us made our way around, though not at sunrise!

I was surprised to hear my daughter exclaim how beautiful the sights were and how fascinated she was by the qualities of the rocks. I thought she'd have started complaining much sooner than she actually did. And I know my husband appreciated the outing as he had grown up in these parts, surfing and fishing this very area.

At one point a runner came by with her dog, followed by a couple of gentlemen enjoying the morning. We lamented for only a brief moment that we were not out doing a long run. In many ways, the Sunday long run has become my spiritual practice - sometimes alone, sometimes with others. But today we let another tradition rule the day, and it was good.

I hope you had a nice weekend.

No comments: