Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1

Rabbit, rabbit.

This is our first utterance on the first day of each month. It's supposed to bring good luck for the month. My friend Joycie and I have been practicing this little exercise for years and now I have infected my family with the habit. It's a fun way to stay in touch with Joyce and a superstitious way to keep things looking up!

Many athletes are superstitious in their quest for success. You hear about the lucky pair of socks that MUST be worn for racing, or the small stone in the pocket. The most vivid example I can think of is probably more like an obsessive compulsive disorder. Do you remember seeing Nomar Garciaparra, the former Red Sox shortstop, take the plate? It was actually painful to watch him twitch and fiddle with his gloves, pant leg, and stance when at bat. But he apparently had to go through it to play his game.

I tend to wear tried and true clothing on race day, for sure, but I can't think of a superstition I hold related to my performance other than occasionally reading my horoscope and trying to say "Rabbit rabbit" each month. How about you?

No comments: