Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

My week to give thanks began yesterday when I was awarded a very generous gift card from, and for, Hannaford Supermarket. They were a primary race sponsor and truly put the money where where their mouth is. Since I have no income presently, my household account has been getting smaller and smaller with no replenishment in sight. So Providence has moved in.

Quoting one of my favorite phrases:
"...the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way."

I'm not exactly conscious as to what I have decidedly committed myself to recently, except perhaps to continue to run competitively (yesterday) and to get a nice new job (every day), and as promised, things do and will continue to work out. They do don't they? I believe this, hence, the commitment. I am committed to thrive and know there are forces greater than me at play.

Today is Monday, the second day of my thanksgiving week, and I received a very nice lead on a job opportunity from a friend and running client, Janet. I am very grateful for this and worked on it today with excellent results. No interview yet but great connections!

Janet has always held a special place in my heart: She came into the marathon training program in 2008, alone, that is not with a fundraising group or friend to partner with. She was doing this on her own because she had a latent desire which needed air - her fire needed a bellow and this program was it. She was also an interesting and accomplished woman that I liked right away.

Janet responded brilliantly. She came every week for the training group and worked hard. Sometimes she ran alone and other times with new acquaintances. But always she showed up for her own reasons. Janet was purposeful in her quest to regain a sense of athleticism and accomplishment, and she succeeded.

Her words:
"I feel so fortunate to have taken the step to sign up and embark on the journey with you… I ran all 13.1 miles and finished under 2 hours—they were my goals and I reached them. It was unbelievable. Once upon a time many years ago I was an accomplished athlete—someone who was fortunate enough to represent the United States in some international tournaments as a national team field hockey player. I worked hard and it paid off with some incredible experiences. The joy I felt on Sunday made me realize that for me, a sense of athletic accomplishment is important to defining me and it has been entirely too long since I felt that bliss. Thank you..."

To Janet, I'd like to say, thank you. Gratefully, we continue to work together and I trust she will reach her goals again - to develop consistency with running and a race pace for those days when she wants to make, or best a time.

Another running comrade came to my aid today in the job quest. Margaret completed the half marathon this year and trained with my group when she could. She leads a busy life and often had to train on her own, separate from the group schedule. Margaret serves on the Advisory Board of the organization to which I am applying, and has a good working relationship with the President of the Board. She wrote an email to her concerning my application and I trust her recommendation will be well received, given who I know her to be. I feel extremely grateful for Margaret today, too.

There are five more days in this week of thanks. My objective is to recognize at least something each day that I can give thanks for. Given the start to the week, this will be a slam dunk.

2 comments:

Ange said...

It is so nice to have great friends. Because of the person You are, good things will come to you. Tough times for sure...but you have what it takes.

Bob Turner said...

You are a class act! Best of luck in your search for employment.