Friday, May 15, 2009

Road Races

There has been so much going on and so little opportunity to write! I hope you're still out there dear reader.

Last weekend saw the ninth running of the Portland Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5k race and kids fun run. About 2200 people registered for the 5K and probably a few hundred kids. I believe it is now the largest 5K in Maine. It feels pretty cool to be part of such a successful event. I worked with the race committee on the front end, getting tee-shirts and race numbers made, managing a packet pick-up and small expo at Peak Performance, and eventually running the race myself. Peak Performance has made such a significant contribution to the running community in Maine.

I run with a team called Nor'Easter Run. It's coached by Ziggy Gillespie and is part of Peak Performance's Nor'easter club. Many of us on the team had good results in the race, several setting PRs (personal records.) It's great to be affiliated with such a positive and inspired group of athletes.

There are races every weekend now through the rest of the summer. It's hard to decide sometimes where to run. My family and I are going up to Sugarloaf tomorrow where there is a marathon and 15K race on Sunday. I'm not sure if I'll run the 15K or not, but no matter what, I will enjoy being up there and watching all the others. (I also look forward to watching the Preakness on Saturday evening.)

Next weekend is the Pineland Challenge in New Gloucester, Maine and the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington, the Snowy Egret 5K in Scarborough. The last weekend in May has the Pond Cove Challenge in Cape Elizabeth, the Y-Tri Sprint in Bath, Maine,..like I said, so much going on!

Today is a beautiful day in Southern Maine. Spring is finally settling in. I hope you are enjoying your running or walking, biking, or swimming, or whatever physical pursuit keeps you inspired. If you have a race coming up, best wishes for your success. Have a great weekend.

No comments: