Through my business, A Running Conversation, Peak Performance Multisport has hired me to develop running programs and clinics. Here's a look at what's on the horizon at Peak:
- March 4th begins a six-month training program coached by Brian "Ziggy" Gillespie, the Forecaster's 2008 Coach of the Year, meeting every Wednesday evening at Peak
- March 18th, 7:30 pm, a clinic with Ziggy, "How to Prepare for a 5K Race"
- April 15th, 7:30 pm, a clinic with massage therapist Julia Kirtland, "Athletes' Preventative Maintenance: Self-Care Techniques"
- April 29th, 7:00 pm, an informational session and registration for the upcoming 18-week marathon training program
- May 4th begins the First Annual Nor'Easter Run Scavenger Hunt Series. Pairs of runners will head out from the shop each Monday evening in May with a list of objects to gather. There will be a weekly winning team, as well as a series winner. Sure to be a blast.
- May 20th, 7:30 pm, a clinic with fitness trainer Erica Napuli, "Strength Training for Runners"
- May 31st, an 18-week marathon and half-marathon training program begins with an eye on the Peak Performance Maine Marathon event on October 4th.
- June 17th, 6:00 pm, a clinic with USM Women's Cross Country Coach George Towle, "How to Improve Your Running Skills"
- July 22nd, 7:30 pm, a clinic with nutritionist Anne-Marie Davee, "Eating for Peak Performance"
Peak is also the lead sponsor with several road races and triathlons, and often has training clinics or expos associated with those. You can find it all on their web site.
As you try to convince yourself you will run outside again someday (it is snowing like crazy right now!), and plan your spring races, consider taking advantage of these terrific sessions. All the presenters are high caliber athletes and can really help you to structure your training in a way you might not have known how to do otherwise. It is all about running well - that is strong and healthy and injury-free. Hope to see you there.